Thursday, July 7, 2011

Reflection - "Design for Life"

Design for Life is a competition style television show which pits designers against each with the goal of working with Phillipe Starck. I will reflect on Episode 5 of the series.

I have watched the first few episodes of the series before, so I knew what to expect from the episode. What I did not expect was my own emotional reaction to what occured on screen. I must admit, I had a wry smile on my face when watching, as the stresses and expectations thrust upon the competitors parallelled what I experienced during every Studio project, even moreso this year, especially the PSS project. It was ironically comforting to see others share the experience which I and my fellow classmates have gone through.

What made me laugh was when, only days from the deadline for the modelmaker, Starck forced the students to completely redesign their product. This is precisely what my group experienced during the PSS assignment, in fact, it happened with every week after consultation. It is very disheartening to have this happen, but I understand that its just something you have to accept as part of the job. This notion was reaffirmed in the episode. What the show probably neglected to leave out were the minor and major panic attacks which can happen with a looming deadline and lots at stake, but they probably edited those out for broadcasting time restrictions.

One of the most important lessons I've learnt during my time studying Industrial Design is that you have to have tough skin and accept and take on board criticism, regardless of how much pain, stress and sleepless nights it may bring, because if you do not take these criticisms on board, you will fail, whether it is failing a class or failing to impress a client, these are simply things you cannot take personally and emotional and get on with project. This was the downfall of one of the competitors, who refused to detract from his plan and stubbornly pushed forward despite Starcks comments, resulting in his booting from the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment