Thursday, March 3, 2011

Task 1 - Ecological Footprint


I was quite surprised with my result. Initially I thought my carbon footprint would be quite significant, say in the 9's or above, mainly because I don't actively go out of my way to reduce it and do more than 20,000km's a year on my motorbike, but upon completing the quiz and reflecting on the aspects of my household and my own daily habits, I now understand why it's lower than I expected.

I found that my use of public transport and travelling by bicycle has offset my use of my motorbike, and I don't drive a car. As of late last year, my change in diet has also attributed to a lower footprint, I would of considered myself strictly a 'carnivore' and eaten 3 large meals a day if I had taken this test in March of last year.

But the main contributing factor would be in my household. My dad works for Sydney water, or whatever it's called now that it's been sold, and we have so many water saving implements, even though the motivation is to save money rather than the environment. That, as well as 'money saving' habits I've had while growing up (turning lights and appliances off, recycling, compost etc.) have dramatically lowered my potential carbon footprint.

No comments:

Post a Comment